Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-reversing washing machine motor

My 3-year old Admiral washing machine (made by Maytag)sometimes fails
to drain and spin at the end of the rinse cycle. It has been doing
this about 10% of the time for the last year.

If I rotate the timer back to the final spin position, it always works
ok. Today I happened to be in the laundry and see the machine in the
middle of what should have been the rinse drain/spin cycle and the
machine was still agitating. I opened the lid and then reclosed it,
and the machine immediately went into the drain/spin cycle.

As far as I know, the motor direction determines if it agitates or
pumps out and spins. I am assuming that there is a relay somewhere
that failed to operate/release and put the motor into the correct
direction to drain and spin. I know there is an appliance repair
group, but can't seem to come up with it.

Help!

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann