Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Adding circuit to FPE panel, are breakers still available?

wrote:

I have a FPE
panel and it works just fine, and yes I've tested all my breakers.

..
Your circuit breakers must have had no problem staying plugged in - one
of the problems with some panels. It probably does not help that when
you turn most breakers on they tend to unplug.

I know you must have operated the breakers many times before testing
knowing that the failure rate is much higher after mechanical operation.

When testing trip under overload I wouldn’t even test 2 pole breakers
with equal current on both poles because the failure rate is much higher
with overload on only one pole. In addition did you test with current on
both poles also?

I’m sure you tested at both 135% and 200% of rating. Surprising how many
breakers didn’t trip at all at 135% - over half in some tests. Where
did you get the acceptable trip times at 135% and 200%. This doesn’t
seem to be real available information. Also what did you use for the
current source. I’m sure in addition to the tests on breakers up to 80A
that was done for the CPSC you tested the service disconnect which is
probably 100A. What did you use for the 200A current source?

Are the busses in your panel made of multiple parts screwed together? If
they are you probably took the panel apart so you could determine if the
bus connections were loose and arcing. It would be much easier if this
damage could be seen without disassembly.

It could be your breakers and panel were not made during the period when
FPE was fraudulently sending false information to UL and your equipment
was not among that delisted by UL.

In short, I applaud our effort in making sure your panel is safe. It
would be of great benefit to others if you could provide instructions on
how you did your tests.

–-
bud--