Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can some building guru explain how the earth can move but causeno structural damage?

MM wrote:
After last night's 'quake, which I felt most strongly, I can't
understand how this much shaking results in no discernible damage, not
even new hairline cracks.

Is it because the whole "plate" on which the area is situated moves in
one lump, so to speak? So the whole house moves this way and that, but
doesn't actually flex within itself? Is that how it works?

Or is it down to build quality and would older or newer properties be
at greater risk?

MM

You would be surpised at how elastic soil, and even concrete steel and
brick structures can be, let alone timber frames.

I remember watching the MOT over the clay soil here going down about 4"
when a 30 tonner backed in the drive, and then coming back up again
afterwards..