Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Dry mix concrete question.

Frank wrote:

I've used the ready mixed in a bag and mix my own by adding cement to the
con mix. I usually get a better finish with the ready mix - smoother, more
butter. The con mix consists of sand and 3/4" or smaller rocks. I'm using 1
part cement to 5 part con mix ratio. The problem is most of the rocks are
large with very few aggregates smaller than 1/2" so the results are lumpy
after bull floating. I needed to use the tamper to drive the rocks down
before bullfloating. Both supplier in my are has this problem regarding the
lumpiness.

Am I doing something wrong or should I add smaller rocks to the mix
(eliminate the temping process) to get a smooth finish like the ready mix
bags?

Are you using 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, and 3 parts aggregate?
That should do it. What kind of aggregate are you using?
Larger aggregate will contribute to higher PSI, so I wouldn't put
in smaller unless you don't care about strength. I haven't had
lumpiness problems, so I can't help much.

Also for straight lines, an edger is great but on radius bends where the
edger doesn't conform to the curves, what tools should I use?

We have always used standard radius edgers. When the radius wall
gets short, you sometimes have to lift up the front of the edger
and just use about half of it to make the radius. When doing
this, it is important to have the curved edge radius edger. Here
is an example:

http://www.marshalltown.com/catalog/...sp?edino=14190

--
Robert Allison