Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_9_] Frank[_9_] is offline

Default Dry mix concrete question.

I've used the ready mixed in a bag and mix my own by adding cement to the
con mix. I usually get a better finish with the ready mix - smoother, more
butter. The con mix consists of sand and 3/4" or smaller rocks. I'm using 1
part cement to 5 part con mix ratio. The problem is most of the rocks are
large with very few aggregates smaller than 1/2" so the results are lumpy
after bull floating. I needed to use the tamper to drive the rocks down
before bullfloating. Both supplier in my are has this problem regarding the
lumpiness.

Am I doing something wrong or should I add smaller rocks to the mix
(eliminate the temping process) to get a smooth finish like the ready mix
bags?

Also for straight lines, an edger is great but on radius bends where the
edger doesn't conform to the curves, what tools should I use?