Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
woodman woodman is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood Lathe 34706

I started with the 34706 lathe and will never regret it. I paid $199 for
it, turned on it for a year and a half and sold it for $185 in November to
get a larger capacity lathe. It is a good lathe--accurate, powerful enough,
variable speed and an excellent starter. I added a shelf to mine with 200
lbs of sand and that made it very stable as well. The tools are also pretty
good--I've seen the same starter set for $60-80, and it is worth the $35.
Benjamin's Best tools are also very good and inexpensive. You can find them
at Penn State Industries.

Woody

"Roy" wrote in message
news
They have the above lathe on sale at the retail stores in this area
now for 199.99 and the 47066 lathe chisel set for 36.99.

I would be new to wood turning if I got these.

Would they be suitable for a beginner to see if I would even like
woodturning? I know they are not the best and many have a total
dislike for Harbor Freight tools. I have found for me many of their
tools are just fine, some are useless.

Now if they would come out with a 10%, 20% or bigger coupon this would
look even better.

I see people on EBAY selling Harbor Freight coupons. I emailed HF
about those and why I did not get them, I am on their email and snail
mail lists, and got a mealymouth useless answer as I expected telling
me no useful information.

Any comments on any of this is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Add 400 after roy in the email to send me email.

Roy