Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default how to dress tool post grinder wheel?

wrote in message
On Feb 26, 1:05 pm, "Scott Kelley" wrote:
Wondering what the usual method is for dressing the wheel on a toolpost
grinder. All I can come up with is to make something that will attach to
the ways that will hold a diamond dressing tool.

Thx

Don't know what the usual method is, but my intent is to make up a
square channel-shaped gizmo to bridge the cross-slide and long enough
to lay across the ways, then use a regular diamond dresser jig like
you can get for surface grinders and the like. Height of the
combination will be somewhat critical. Might even be able to make do
with good plywood or something like polycarbonate. I've got a lot of
thick Lexan cutoffs, myself.

other posters comments:
Specialized grinding equipment is great if you have the bucks for same
and no doubt a whole lot better to use in a production setting. For
the rest of us that only need to do grinding once in a blue moon and/
or don't have room for cylindrical grinders and such, a tool post
grinder has to make do.

Stan

Yes, Stan. I agree. It's just that if you can avoid using a tool post
grinder, that's always the best policy. I more or less alluded to that in my
post.

I had to run a pair of tapered plug gauges (defense job) when I worked at a
job shop that was not grinding oriented. They were turned, heat treated,
then ground using a tool post grinder. Having spent a few years in the
aero-space industry as a precision grinder, the task was quite distasteful,
and were it not for my killer instinct for producing fine work, they
wouldn't have turned out well. As it was, they did, something I've
never forgotten, nor have I forgotten the hoops I had to jump through to
achieve success. Clearly, a tool post grinder has to be one of the worst
tools ever invented. The only thing going for them is that they do
grind--------------how well is up for grabs.

Harold