Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default how to dress tool post grinder wheel?

On Feb 26, 1:05*pm, "Scott Kelley" wrote:
Wondering what the usual method is for dressing the wheel on a toolpost
grinder. *All I can come up with is to make something that will attach to
the ways that will hold a diamond dressing tool.

Thx

Don't know what the usual method is, but my intent is to make up a
square channel-shaped gizmo to bridge the cross-slide and long enough
to lay across the ways, then use a regular diamond dresser jig like
you can get for surface grinders and the like. Height of the
combination will be somewhat critical. Might even be able to make do
with good plywood or something like polycarbonate. I've got a lot of
thick Lexan cutoffs, myself.

other posters comments:
Specialized grinding equipment is great if you have the bucks for same
and no doubt a whole lot better to use in a production setting. For
the rest of us that only need to do grinding once in a blue moon and/
or don't have room for cylindrical grinders and such, a tool post
grinder has to make do.

Stan