Floyd L. Davidson

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former

Seppo Renfors wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:
So you are going to say that in *your* vocabulary the terms are
not the same? (I'll point out that the only reason you even know
there is a difference is from reading what I've posted to Usenet.)

Yep, that's the scumbag's established style - redefine words -
misrepresent and lie! Of course the loud mouthed windbag doesn't
understand the word "eskimo" in any case! How could he? "Eskimo" is an
Algonquian word, meaning something in the sense, "people speaking a
different language". Further to that it is considered an offensive
term nowadays by many. The reason is partly through the associations
of the discredited folk etymology of the word (myth) "one who eats raw
flesh".

You are aware of that *only* because I personally have posted
the information on Usenet dozens of times. Go to google and
just try to find where *anyone* else commonly posts that
particular etymology for "Eskimo". What you left out (and I
never do) is the cite for Jose Hotmail, the French-Canadian
anthropologist who provided the research.

http://linguistlist.org/issues/7/7-300.html

Clearly *you* didn't read what I've written previously well
enough to understand it. So let me refresh your memory in terms
of what we are discussing here. Eric claims that it would not
be proper to say that there were Inuit on Greenland 4000 years
ago, because he says that only Thule Technology people are
properly called "Inuit".

Of course, both of you are saying that the term Eskimo is wrong.

Which leaves *no* proper term to connect all of the ancient
cultures on Greenland (or anywhere else in the Arctic)!

Or does it????

http://www.natmus.gl/en/museet/samli...seskimoer.html

"All Inuit cultures are represented:
Saqqaq
Independence I
Independence II
Early Dorset
Late Dorset
Thule"

It seems the Greenland National Museum & Archives, Tikilluarit,
disagrees with Eric's claim about proper terminology. I'll take
their word for it, because obviously Eric once again doesn't have
any idea what he is talking about.

As to the word Eskimo... Well, I have asked my children about
that! They tell me that Seppo The Word Weasel games are wrong.

They tell me *they* are Eskimos. Now, it happens that their
mother tells me she is too, as does her mother. (Oh, I believe
them too! They do speak an Eskimo language, and eat Eskimo food,
and well, you know... they even *look* like Eskimos!)

One of those children is two things of note in regard to that.
First she is a legal authority (JD in Indian Law) *and* she is
recognized by her own tribal people as both a leader and a
traditional teacher of Eskimo culture. (Sufficiently accredited
that the village where her mother was born hired her to give a
workshop to their teachers on how to bring Yup'ik culture into
the classroom in appropriate ways.)

Which is to say, if my kid says Eskimo is a proper word, and she
does say that, then who Seppo and Eric to say otherwise?

But then what would that loser know.... not much that's what - a lot
of noise, very very little substance!

Ah, but I *do* know what the words Inuit and Eskimo actually
mean, and when to use them properly. That's a trick you are
never going to master!

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)