Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Where to get old pots tinned

wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:46 pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

If there is lead based solder in a cooking pot why risk the health of your
friends and family? If it has lead use it for a decoration and buy a lead
free pot.

If there is no lead, then go ahead and get it replaced with tin.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

We own a number of very old copper pots that we would very much like
to use. However, back when they were made, they used lead in solder. I
have heard (from chefs who use them) that it is safe to use them if
one gets them tinned. Any thoughts on where I could have done? What
would that trade be called?

Thanks!

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

I'm skeptical that:

1 - Lead solder was used in copper cooking pots at all, because solder
could easily start to weaken at temps that a pot might experinece.

2 - That it's a common service readily available to get pots like this
dipped in something to cover them.

Like you state, what's the point? If I had such a pot, I'd just
chuck it and go buy a new one.

Copper pots are very expensive and I consider them the best for
certain things, right up there with cast iron. Copper conducts
heat well, heats up fast and cools down fast which makes it great
for sauces, reuxs, etc.

All copper pots need to be retinned every few years and it is not
that expensive, nor is it dangerous.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.