Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Where to get old pots tinned

wrote:
On Feb 26, 2:27 am, Robert Allison wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

We own a number of very old copper pots that we would very much like
to use. However, back when they were made, they used lead in solder. I
have heard (from chefs who use them) that it is safe to use them if
one gets them tinned. Any thoughts on where I could have done? What
would that trade be called?

Thanks!

Aaron

I call it metal plating. Look under metal plating in the phonebook.

http://www.generalplating.com/processes.htm

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I've seen lots of copper pots, but never any with solder. What
exactly are they supposed to have used solder for in a copper pot?
For one obvious thing, one would think lead solder could start to
soften at temps that a pot might occasionally experience firing up on
a hot burner.

Copper pots are lined with tin, and the old tin alloy was often
heavy in lead content and was used in this tin coating. The
modern tin coating for cookware is lead free.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.