Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Where to get old pots tinned

On Feb 26, 12:33*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

We own a number of very old copper pots that we would very much like
to use. However, back when they were made, they used lead in solder. I
have heard (from chefs who use them) that it is safe to use them if
one gets them tinned. Any thoughts on where I could have done? What
would that trade be called?

Thanks!

Aaron

Tinning is commonly done for processing equipment for the food
industry. It is often a hot melt dip like galvanizing to take
advantage of the low melting point of the tin and the speed of such a
process. Don't know if you easily could find a shop that can do a hot
dip, but an alternative and better solution would be to have the pot
interiors heavily silver plated. The advantages are keeping the
exterior its natural color, and having a more robust interior that
could stand mild cleaning better than tin. HTH

Joe