Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get old pots tinned

On Feb 26, 12:46*pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
If there is lead based solder in a cooking pot why risk the health of your
friends and family? *If it has lead use it for a decoration and buy a lead
free pot.

If there is no lead, then go ahead and get it replaced with tin.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

We own a number of very old copper pots that we would very much like
to use. However, back when they were made, they used lead in solder. I
have heard (from chefs who use them) that it is safe to use them if
one gets them tinned. Any thoughts on where I could have done? What
would that trade be called?

Thanks!

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

I'm skeptical that:

1 - Lead solder was used in copper cooking pots at all, because solder
could easily start to weaken at temps that a pot might experinece.

2 - That it's a common service readily available to get pots like this
dipped in something to cover them.

Like you state, what's the point? If I had such a pot, I'd just
chuck it and go buy a new one.