Seppo Renfors

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former CopperCastingIn America (Trevelyan)

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Greenland, ... archaeological evidence indicating
kayaks are 4,000 years old. ...

Yikes, imagine that... wood framed boats in use by Inuit people
for perhaps 4000 years! (Did you misread that the first time?
4000 years qualifies as "thousands", right?)

Wood framed boats may or may not have been used by the inuit for 4000
years but certainly not in Greenland. The inuit arrived in the north
of Greenland about the same time the Viking were arriving in the
south,

Note that the quote says, specifically, that in *Greenland* there is
some evidence indicating that kayaks are 4,000 years old. Obviously
if that is true (and it is), then Eskimos were in Greenland thousands
of years before the Vikings. And that is a *well* established fact.

I think we are about to start arguing about who were/are the eskimo
and who were/are the inuit. Then there are the dorset.

That probably would not be a smart argument for a fellow from
New Zealand to get into with an old Alaskan who lives in Barrow.

Well.... even Barrow is allowed a village idiot!

In any case, the discussion up to now has been about the inuit so your
introduction of the word 'eskimo' and its accompanying definitions is
a red herring.

So you are going to say that in *your* vocabulary the terms are
not the same? (I'll point out that the only reason you even know
there is a difference is from reading what I've posted to Usenet.)

Yep, that's the scumbag's established style - redefine words -
misrepresent and lie! Of course the loud mouthed windbag doesn't
understand the word "eskimo" in any case! How could he? "Eskimo" is an
Algonquian word, meaning something in the sense, "people speaking a
different language". Further to that it is considered an offensive
term nowadays by many. The reason is partly through the associations
of the discredited folk etymology of the word (myth) "one who eats raw
flesh".

But then what would that loser know.... not much that's what - a lot
of noise, very very little substance!

[..]

--
SIR - Philosopher unauthorised
The one who is educated from the wrong books is not educated, he is