Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Beall Modification

In article , Bob Daun
wrote:

This is just a general interest question. A few weeks ago I purchased the
Beall Bowl polishing system and am very pleased with the performance. In
the process of polishing some bowls, I found one that for some reason or
other I didn't have the inside sanded very well prior to finishing. I can
my mind. It is not easy to sand inside bowl surfaces with most sanding
devices (electric drill, dremel, etc.) I wonder how it would work if one
took one of the Beall balls, moistened it with water and added some fine
abrasive and use this to sand the interior of bowls. It is relatively easy
to get very fine abrasives from places that sell them to be used in rock
tumblers. Anyone tried anything like this?

After reading all the replies advising against, I feel compelled to
point out that in 'French Polishing' you actually want the abrasive
(pumice) jammed into the wood grain to act as a filler. Depends on just
how much sanding you need to correct, and what type of finish you want,
but I can imagine certain situations where a dedicated felt or flannel
wheel with a tiny amount of FFF or FFFF pumice might be just the ticket
for the inside of a bowl. YMMV.

If you do experiment with this, report back with your results...

-j