Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default 17-7 PH stainless magnetic?

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:36:37 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, Mechanical Magic quickly quoth:

On Feb 25, 8:40 pm, oldjag wrote:
I wanted the H900 condition as it being used for a tool to cut mild
steel bolts, screws etc. underwater. McMaster seems to have it in
most flavors, probably at a bit higher price than if you purchased
from a steel supplier in quantity.

McMaster gets some clinkers.

I ordered some 4140 bar stock, supposedly annealed. Machined rather
poorly. Made the part, delivered to the happy customer. It was a one
off gib that had been lost on a BP size mil (KO)l. I was in a hurry.

Well it finally bugged me to the point of measuring the hardness.
IIRC it was ~20Rc, not quite pre-hard, but much harder than annealed.
McMaster can't measure every incoming part, so I don't blame them, but
**** happens.
DJ

So tell McMaster and have them ask their supplier to replace your
cutter--at the supplier's cost.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine