Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing wall tile adhesive

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
I've knocked the wall tiles off easily enough - a strip of them above
where the old kitchen units were. The adhesive left on the walls is
your usual white stuff. Is there anything I an apply to it that will
cause it to lose its adhesion, or dissolve it, so I don't have to
scrape it all off? I don't mind the work in scraping it off, but I'll
probably leave marks in the plaster, and I want to paint the wall
afterwards.

You can wet it and it will soften it, but it may take more than one
wetting to soak right through.

If it's the white waterproof stuff - designed for showers etc - I don't
think water will do any good. I wanted to re-use some tiles fixed with
that stuff and after removing them left them in a bucket of water for
several days and it didn't touch it. Had to chip it off.

add a bit of fairly liquid to the water - it keeps it in place
longer....this trick can also be used for wallpaper stripping

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.