Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default sill plate replacement in basement revisited

Mike Dobony wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 06:24:48 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor wrote:

A little searching on the Simpson website led me to some anchors that
may satisfy the inspector's requirement for anchor bolts on the new
sill plate.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/UFP.asp
Simpson's site is full of code references, load test results, and
corrosion data that should satisfy all but the most obtuse inspector.

But I still need an idea or two on how to lift/support a 12' section
of the two story house where the joists run parallel to the sill
plate.
Like in the side of the house in the first picture here
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/floor.html

Not one of you is clever enough to think of a way to do this?

This site states that the pressure treated sill plate is mounted directly
on the bricks on the foundation. This is poor practice as a sill sealer is
also required by code.

Not here (UBC). Code states that material in contact with
masonry must be pressure treated OR a suitable sill sealer must
be used. Energy requirements DO require a seal between the
bottom plate and the floor (regardless of whether it is masonry
or wood) but this is done with either a suitable foam insert,
foam sealant or caulk.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.