Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Comcast Newsgroups Comcast Newsgroups is offline

Default Beall Modification

Fred, what is the size of the dome inflatable sander. I couldn't find it,
getting old I guess.........Ralph

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 1:02 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
This is just a general interest question. A few weeks ago I purchased
the
Beall Bowl polishing system and am very pleased with the performance. In
the process of polishing some bowls, I found one that for some reason or
other I didn't have the inside sanded very well prior to finishing. I
can
my mind. It is not easy to sand inside bowl surfaces with most sanding
devices (electric drill, dremel, etc.) I wonder how it would work if one
took one of the Beall balls, moistened it with water and added some fine
abrasive and use this to sand the interior of bowls. It is relatively
easy
to get very fine abrasives from places that sell them to be used in rock
tumblers. Anyone tried anything like this?

Hello Bob,

You've heard the negative comments and I agree with them 100 percent.
Another solution to the problem you describe is GUINEVERE a tool made
in Sweden and imported by Arthur Aveling at King Arthur's Tools. Their
web site is: www.katools.com I believe. We purchased one of these
last year. It is just the thing to do sanding of bowls, etc. while you
hold them in your hand. I don't remember the price. It is not a cheap
tool, but it does do the job very nicely.

Mildred and I first saw it demonstrated on the Norwegian Woodturning
Cruise in 2004. The carver who was using it made fine crafted spoons
and scoops all done with this sander. There it was called the Kirjes
Inflatable Sander. More Woodturning carried a story on this system in
the March-April 2007 issue. Arthur renamed it Guinevere when he
started importing it last year.

It is just the thing for sanding a piece that is off the lathe and
can't be remounted. It does what you want to do.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com