Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Random musings about genetically perceived good work. (long)

There may be another reason why people will buy art/craft. At one time
my daughter owned a gallery in SOHO (Broome & Broadway in NYC). In this
venue she enjoyed a fairly sophisticated spectrum of patrons and
artists. Here in S. Fl we have attended several fund raising art shows.
Whether in NY or Fl and I suspect in Kansas or Idaho, the same purchase
patterns seem to obtain.

I think people want to buy something whether to show support of a cause
or to assuage their guilt over regularly
consuming free wine and cheese with no thought of buying. In many cases
it doesn't seem to matter what the object is, so long that it is not too
expensive in the particular buyer's financial situation, but the low end
goods sure sell better regardless of the clientele.

I remember Lori buying a particularly uninspiring, but surprisingly
affordable painting at one art 'do'. I inquired why it never hung at our
house. She replied, "we had to buy something", I say, "thank goodness
for the "affordable shows". We are not alone. Many affordable
paintings reside in the closets of our town.

Moral: In many venues and especially at fund raisers, don't be sure
someone loved your bowl or your work found its one happy owner just
because that someone bought it. Maybe they could afford it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter