Posted to uk.d-i-y
Garry Garry is offline

Default Monodisc taps with unequal water pressure

On Feb 26, 2:04*pm, Stephen Howard wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:39:41 -0000, "dennis@home"

wrote:

"Stewart" wrote in message
I saw monobloc kitchen tap for sale in Lidyl at an exceptionaly good price
and wanted to buy. *My brother who is a plumber said not to do so as I
would get a problm similar to what you are describing.
He said that most of these taps are made for untits with combi boilers
when the pressure of both hot and cold are the same. *I have a mains fed
cold supply to my sink but the hot is from a traditional hot water system
(cistern in loft) so the pressures cannot match. *The other problem is the
very small bore of the pipe into the tap; this may not be a problem for
you if you get a good enought flow from the hot on its own.
In my bathroom I changed the flow from the mains to that of the roof
cistern and then fitted a pressure activated pump so both hot and cold now
match.
It might work fitting a pressure reduction valve on the mains supply but I
doubt it.

I thought it was illegal to fit a mixer where the hot and cold actually
mixed before the outlet.
None of the taps I have seen for sale have any common path shared by the hot
and cold and the pressure difference is irrelevant.

I've got a monoblock fitted in my kitchen - don't know what make it is
( picked it up at the local tip for a fiver ) but it's obviously a
well-made bit of kit.
Cold water is at mains pressure, hot is gravity fed - so there's a
substantial difference in pressure, and I get no leaks at all.
The unit has small bore tails, and separate paths down the outlet (
the cold water form a rather nice latticework effect ).

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard - Woodwind repairs & period restorationswww.shwoodwind.co.uk
Emails to: showard{whoisat}shwoodwind{dot}co{dot}uk- Hide quoted text -

Have you got a pair of filters in the feeds to the taps to keep out
any small bits of crap in the water. Just wondered as i know if they
start leeking there a bugger to fix.

Gaz