Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Adding circuit to FPE panel, are breakers still available?

On Feb 26, 3:14*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message

I am renovating a kitchen in an apartment building in which all of the
units have Federal Pacific panels ( I know, that's a whole different
topic, the building owners are well aware of the issues with them) .
I would like to add another circuit to the panel, there is room. The
problem is do they still make replacement or aftermarket breakers for
these panels? The other option I have is to use a 2 pole breaker that
was for a 220V A/C that is not used anymore, but do I , or can I,
physically cut the pin that joins the 2 breaklers so each can operate
seperately?

Yes, they are available, and U.L. approved. They're sold under a variety of
names,like American circuit breaker, but just as for FP breakers at the
supply house. I wouldn't recommend pulling apart the double

Occasionally seen single pole breakers of variuos types at hardware
stores. Whether these compatible with FP not sure but worth a try.
As a temporary idea, until you round up the correct breaker while not
correct to code, but using only one pole of a breaker should work OK?
Thai si if amperage rating exceeded due to, say a fault, on the one
leg in use the whole breaker should trip. Right.