Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding circuit to FPE panel, are breakers still available?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am renovating a kitchen in an apartment building in which all of the
units have Federal Pacific panels ( I know, that's a whole different
topic, the building owners are well aware of the issues with them) .
I would like to add another circuit to the panel, there is room. The
problem is do they still make replacement or aftermarket breakers for
these panels? The other option I have is to use a 2 pole breaker that
was for a 220V A/C that is not used anymore, but do I , or can I,
physically cut the pin that joins the 2 breaklers so each can operate
seperately?

If you remove the two pole breaker and install a single pole breaker you
will need to install a panel seal to fill in the empty space on the panel
cover. These may be more difficult to find than the single pole circuit
breaker. If the two pole breaker is the correct amp rating, just use one
side of that and don't worry about cutting the tie handle. Don't put a wire
on the second pole. Just label it on the panel cover "120 volts" or
something like that.