Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 17-7 PH stainless magnetic?

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:16:34 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I'm having trouble finding out about the mill-supplied condition of 17-7
PH
stainless. The issue is a complicated one but it could be answered if
anyone
has a piece of 17-7 PH stock and a magnet. If so, is it magnetic?

I don't have a piece, at least not one that I'd trust the ID on. But
according to an Armco pamphlet I have here, 17-7 comes from the mill
in either condition A or C. A is mill annealed and non-magnetic, C is
heavily cold worked and magnetic. Condition C is required as a
starting point for treating to Condition CH900, which is the state
with highest tensile properties.

--
Ned Simmons

Aha! That's exactly what I need. Thanks, Ned.

--
Ed Huntress