Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Antique Brown & Sharpe Grinder

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:55:25 -0800 (PST), Bob AZ
wrote:

Saw an Antique Brown & Sharpe grinder today. Single large wheel was
about 24 " diameter. 3" thick. Maybe used to be hand operated by a big
person. Rotated in a tub that could be filled with water. Tub was cast
with the Browne & Sharpe name on the side. Maybe 500 pounds. total.
Definitely old. Perhaps 100 years. Looked to be powered later in life
by a 3 HP motor. Had an anvil at each side of the grinding wheel.
Definitely not the precision grinder thet we are all used too.
Reminded me of the foot power grinders om my childhood. 70+ years ago.
But the wheel is big. Real big. No handwheels or crank so perhaps this
was all removed when a motor was added.

Sorry but I did not have my camera with me.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Bob AZ

If this is a single wheel mounted vertically on a sawhorse like frame
it sounds like what every farm was equipped with years ago. Initially
driven with a crank or treadle and used to sharpen scythes, sickles,
mowing machine cutter bars and all the other cutting implements used
on the farm.
See : http://wichita.craigslist.org/clt/567499338.html
for example without water trough.

Bruce-in-Bangkok