Posted to rec.woodworking
Jman[_2_] Jman[_2_] is offline

Default Can I use raw oak to make soft-metal forming blocks ?

I'm not much of a carpenter but I need some advice as to what I can do
with some free wood I acquired this winter.

The Raw Oak (the free wood) is 6 inches wide by six inches deep and
these boards are approximately 8 to 10 feet long. I have about 20 of
them left. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could 'make'
so that I might be able to turn some of this oak into dapping blocks
and forming blocks so that I can pound the hell out of some metal
cutouts ? (Could this kind of wood be used in a small press ?)

The metals I am working with is copper, brass and Stainless steel. At
present, most of the copper and brass is between 20 and 8 ounce, while
the stainless is 22 and 26 gauge. Now out of this metal, I have a few
hundred cutouts, most of which are round, oval and of similar
geometric shape. The dimensions of these 'cutouts' would be
approximately 1 to 3 inches across, with some irregular S.S. shapes in
the 4 or 5 inch range.

Many of the circle and oval cutouts would need to be domed (similar to
an old chrome hubcap) but anything that might make a really cool shape
would be even better !

Any suggestions as to how I should go about this and what kind of
tools would be required, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

/FC