Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Where to buy machine screw assortment?

"DoN. Nichols" dnichols d-and-d.com wrote:

We are trying to figure out exactly what the conditions are
under which the screws are breaking,

And I'm trying to tell "we" that it really doesn't matter.

and a lot of the initial answers
were addressing the implied condition that the screws were
breaking before they were fully into the workpiece

Better to go with the stated condition, that the screws were
breaking with too little torque. Since you don't know how much
torque I apply, you'll just have to take my word for it.

We make suggestions, and you attack. ISTR that you came in
with
a similar behavior a couple of months ago or so.

And you're planning to tell your imaginary kill file friend on me.

We're *trying* to help, and to do that, we need to understand
the precise conditions under which the screws are breaking. You
seem to have later suggested that the holes are properly drilled
and tapped, but it is not totally clear that was what you said.

I've said this several times already. I'm asking about bolt
strength, not about methods. Talking about methods is misconstruing
my original post. I mentioned the method because it happened to be
how I determined that the bolts on using are crap. Doesn't matter if
I am holding the small end of the bolt in a vice, the bolt breaks
too easily. How else am I supposed to determine bolt strength? Why
isn't that method okay? What other method would you suggest for me
to get an idea of bolt strength? Screw it into a correctly tapped
hole?

Little pressure -- or before you even get the screw in far
enough for the head to contact? This is the kind of detail which
can make a difference in you getting useful answers.

I've gotten plenty of useful answers about screw strength, IMO,
probably at least enough already. Some people aren't inclined to
give useful answers. Some people just don't know (for example, folks
living in the UK when asked about "USA chain stores"). Some people
just want to talk about fastening stuff, and that's okay with me.

Now to read the rest of this, and *try* to resist commenting
again.

Good luck.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: dnichols d-and-d.com | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

From: "DoN. Nichols" dnichols d-and-d.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Where to buy machine screw assortment?
Date: 26 Feb 2008 05:39:31 GMT