Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 17-7 PH stainless magnetic?

"oldjag" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 9:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I'm having trouble finding out about the mill-supplied condition of 17-7
PH
stainless. The issue is a complicated one but it could be answered if
anyone
has a piece of 17-7 PH stock and a magnet. If so, is it magnetic?

It can go either way; it depends on whether the stainless was left in the
mill-rolled condition before heat treatment. 17-7 PH is a
"semi-austenitic"
grade that becomes martensitic (and thus magnetic) when it's cold-worked.
If
it's magnetic, it was mill-rolled or otherwise cold-work and then
solution
treated. If it's not, it was annealed in between those two steps.

Thanks, if anyone has a piece of the material and can see if a magnet
sticks
to it.

--
Ed Huntress

The bar of 17-9 PH I have from McMasterCarr is very magnetic. It's in
the H900 state.

Hookay. Do you order this stuff regularly? If so, do you specify the H900
condition, or does it just come that way if you order 17-9 PH with no other
specification?

That's what I'm trying to find out. I'll try to find a good supplier when I
get to it and ask, but somebody's asking me what the "normal" condition of
the stuff is, as it's delivered by the mill, if you just specify 17-7 PH. I
haven't handled the stuff for over 20 years and I don't know.

Thanks for that info, though, regardless.

--
Ed Huntress