Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default 17-7 PH stainless magnetic?

On Feb 25, 9:16 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I'm having trouble finding out about the mill-supplied condition of 17-7 PH
stainless. The issue is a complicated one but it could be answered if anyone
has a piece of 17-7 PH stock and a magnet. If so, is it magnetic?

It can go either way; it depends on whether the stainless was left in the
mill-rolled condition before heat treatment. 17-7 PH is a "semi-austenitic"
grade that becomes martensitic (and thus magnetic) when it's cold-worked. If
it's magnetic, it was mill-rolled or otherwise cold-work and then solution
treated. If it's not, it was annealed in between those two steps.

Thanks, if anyone has a piece of the material and can see if a magnet sticks
to it.

--
Ed Huntress

The bar of 17-9 PH I have from McMasterCarr is very magnetic. It's in
the H900 state.