Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Beall Modification

"Bob Daun" wrote in message
et...
This is just a general interest question. A few weeks ago I purchased the
Beall Bowl polishing system and am very pleased with the performance. In
the process of polishing some bowls, I found one that for some reason or
other I didn't have the inside sanded very well prior to finishing. I can
to my mind. It is not easy to sand inside bowl surfaces with most
sanding devices (electric drill, dremel, etc.) I wonder how it would work
if one took one of the Beall balls, moistened it with water and added some
fine abrasive and use this to sand the interior of bowls. It is
relatively easy to get very fine abrasives from places that sell them to
be used in rock tumblers. Anyone tried anything like this?

Try the standard solutions first. I don't think you need an expensive setup
like Fred mentioned. I'm using the same flex shaft on an old washing
machine motor for considerably under the price. Have to say the inflatable
drum with the sandpaper condom is not for normal use, since it's both
expensive and fragile. I use it for goblets and other places too narrow to
work a flex edge into.

This Mac Mop idea works great for bowls. Expensive, but lasts a long time.
I got a "Big Buffer" JET double-ender for some of my other work and found
the pneumatic drum to be great for outsides and the mop for out or in.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/ search on "mac mops." If you want to test
the waters gradually, try search on "contour sanding" which will have
sanding mops, sanding stars or even mini mops which will touch up
decorations or carving with almost no contour degrade. While you're
ordering, get a bargain box.