Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Where to buy machine screw assortment?

Jim Stewart jstewart jkmicro.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Randy Replogle spamgoeshere1 verizon.net wrote:

I suspect that you don't even know what you don't know.

Heya Bert.

Drill and tap the "bottom" part correctly for a machine screw of
your choice. Drill a hole in the "top" part slightly larger than
the body of said screw. Place the screw through the top part and
turn it into the threaded hole of the bottom part. The top part
will now be held tight to the bottom part by the head of the
screw.

I know that. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the question
or my current situation.

Maybe I should have just asked for better machine screws without
any description, but some people prefer to know what's going on.

Bingo.

This is a discussion forum, not just a free information service.

So you want a little discussion before answering my question?

I usually prefer a concise question, from someone asking for help.

Most of the members are very knowledgeable and appreciate polite
give-and-take discussion.

Yeah, I'm ****ed at crap machine screws from Lowe's messing up my
project, and I guess it shows. It's definitely not a beautiful day
in the neighborhood here.

Whether it's understood or not, once again. I'm simply asking about
where to buy stronger machine screws than the zinc plated type I get
at Lowe's. And maybe whether stainless steel is the only way to
significantly increase strength from those type of machine screws
that break when you torque them.

Are those machine screws acceptable for anything? I'm surprised
anyone in this metalworking group would appear to be defending them.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:10:41 -0800
From: Jim Stewart jstewart jkmicro.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Where to buy machine screw assortment?