Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Where to buy machine screw assortment?

I'm doing an important project. Trying to thread a machine screw
into some aluminum. Halfway through, the machine screw twists apart
just below the head. The heads breaking off is not uncommon here. I
don't put all that much pressure on them, so either I'm Superman or
the machine screws I buy from Lowe's are made out of junk steel.

I guess the upside is that at least the screwheads don't strip first
/

Is stainless steel necessary, or is there an assortment of zinc
plated (or whatever similar type) machine screws/nuts made out of
decent steel someplace on the Internet or at a USA chainstore? I
need sizes like 6, 8, & 10.

Thanks.