Posted to uk.d-i-y
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default What energy efficient lights do you use for your kitchen?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:51:42 -0800, blackhead wrote:

I have a 40W fluorescent ring type for an 18x9 foot kitchen which is
nice and bright but perhaps a little OTT since I have an 11W energy
efficient bulb lighting a similar sized room, the down side being it's
very dim to start with.

So what do you use to power your kitchen?

SWMBO said, when it was time to put lights in a new ceiling after a fire,
that she didn't want anything fancy. I wanted to play - so we have a
compromise!

2off 2D 18W surface fittings in circular glass shades - 1 at each end of
the long, narrow kitchen. Those are on 2-way switches so we can use them
from both ends of the room.

2off LV halogens in downlighters in the ceiling over a small breakfast
bar. Operated from an electronic transformer & dimmer.

8off LV halogens in downlighters in the ceiling, distributed above the
rest of the work surfaces, including 2 over the sink (works very well!).
These are spread over 2 more electronic transformers from a common
dimmer. The 2 dimmers & a 2D light switch are all within easy reach of
the breakfast bar so it's dead easy to change the whole mood of the
lighting.

The halogens are all fed via a "flying saucer" style PIR in the centre of
the room to give automatic switch-on & off.

In addition to that lot, there are another 6 low-wattage LV halogens
under the cupboards over the main worktops down one side.

Most of the time the dimmers are switched off or kept quite low, being
very good for making a brew first thing in the morning! SWMBO is quite
happy with the 2Ds and the under-cupboard lights for most of the time.
It's nice to just have the breakfast bar lit though.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net