Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Opener for a side-sliding garage door?

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi. I'm rebuilding the doors on the back of my garage, and am likely
to put in a barn-style sliding door rather than an overhead door. I've
been looking for an opener that's designed for this kind of door, and
am drawing a blank. Any suggestions? Can I get away with creative use
of a 'standard' garage door opener?

That's how mine is rigged.

I can see the potential for some serious safety issues
and code violations here. Standard openers are designed
to be installed at 8-10ft off the ground. I'm guessing
that in this configuration the electrical and mechanical
parts will be within easy reach of a child. Fabricating
a safety shroud would be a non-trivial task.

It's scary thinking about what the sprocket and chain
with 0.5-1.0 HP behind it would do to a child's fingers...
:-(

I have to climb on a ladder to reach the mechanism. It's at least 10 feet above
ground, above the door.