Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V Power Adapter Question

In article ,
Brian wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to replace a damaged 12V 1A DC power adapter for a piece
of computer equipment. I have one similar with correct plugs etc but
its 12V 1.5A DC (came from another piece of equipment). Is this safe to
use as a replacement - i.e the current output of new one is higher than
old one, does this matter? thanks.

It *might* matter if the normal average load on the original is low and
regulated, and the more powerful one unregulated. For example a printer
might have a very low power consumption when not actually printing and a
large unregulated supply might produce a high enough voltage to damage it.
But it's not that likely. If the larger one is regulated you should be ok.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.