Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Opener for a side-sliding garage door?

Standard garage door openers come in two types, a chain drive and a screw
drive.

If you can figure out how to mount the head of the unit sideways and some
way to couple the door to a drive screw or a bicycle chain the standard
opener should work, but it will not be an easy install.

The commercial sliding gate openers I have seen have a bicycle chain setup
where the chain is strung along the bottom of the gate and the opener drives
a sprocket.

The problems I see with a sliding garage door is that the doors slide past
each other, and there is not a lot of room to rig an opener.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
wrote in message
Hi. I'm rebuilding the doors on the back of my garage, and am likely
to put in a barn-style sliding door rather than an overhead door. I've
been looking for an opener that's designed for this kind of door, and
am drawing a blank. Any suggestions? Can I get away with creative use
of a 'standard' garage door opener?

Many thanks,