Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood Lathe 34706

Dave,

The Delta 46-700 is crap unless you turn small spindles. The bearing housing
is very thin cast iron and prone to cracking and warping.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

wrote in message
I am a beginner too. I bought a set of 47066 tools to start with,
knowing that I'de want better ones after I figured out which tools I
would use the most. The tools included in the set are best suited to
spindle turning. I picked up a bowl gouge to supplement the set. After
6 weeks of turning a few hours a week I am already wanting some more
substantial tools. Because of the thickness and width of the tools its
taking a little longer to finish items.

I sprung for a Jet 1220 (Sells for around $325) because while I buy a
lot of tools at HF, I'm not too keen on their power tools. Of course
shortly after I bought my 1220 a Delta 46-700 came up for sale for
cheap on Craigslist.

I'm usually a loner-learner but I attended a local AAW chapter meeting
and met a bunch of great people. I imagine every hour I spend there
saves me 10X as much time in the shop. The VP of the club held a
sharpening class that helped me get a decent edge on the tools and
that has helped immensely.

-- Dave