Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Home Automation, Where do I start?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:33:35 -0500, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

"gore" wrote in message
.. .
How would I control my front porch light using my computer? Are there x10
devices with certain software or is there something I can plug into my
computer to do this? I don't want just a timer or a "Clapper" that I plug
into the wall. I want to be able to start a program from my computer and
click a button and see my porch light come on or go off.

Thanks
Shane

Try: comp.home.automation for an automation news group

Stores:

smarthome.com
worthingdistribution.com
automatedoutlet.com

and of course:

X10.com (Most annoying website ever)

There is computer software to control your lights, but you're better off
with a programmable controller so you can leave your computer off after the
controller is programmed. I use HomeSeer software and an Ocelot controller,

The Ocelot works well, although programming is strange. I found
Homeseer to be a big source of aggravation.

but for a newbie I'd try something like this until you're certain you like
it. There's also Insteon, which is supposed to be more relaiable, but many
more $s for a beginner.

http://www.activehomepro.com/activeh...o-starter.html

It doesn't come with a light switch though, but maybe you'll be happy with
the screw-in socket in the package. You can also buy the individual parts on
eBay if you know what you want.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov