Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Home Automation, Where do I start?

"gore" wrote in message
How would I control my front porch light using my computer? Are there x10
devices with certain software or is there something I can plug into my
computer to do this? I don't want just a timer or a "Clapper" that I plug
into the wall. I want to be able to start a program from my computer and
click a button and see my porch light come on or go off.

Thanks
Shane

Silly tricks don't come without a price. At the very least it requires
removing a perfectly good durable toggle switch and replacing it wit a POS
line carrier, then more cheezy technology to interface that with your PC.
Now instead of getting up and flipping a switch, you can fire up the Dell,
wait three minutes for it to load, conjure up the program to wirelessly tell
the switch to turn on the light... maybe