Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plaster restoration

"Chris" wrote in message
The bulges area few inches long, with a crack in the center, and the
plaster around the crack separating from the backing.. underneath the
crack is the base coat, still intact and flat.

but, along the stair way there is a HUGE bulge about two feet long..
and about 1/2 foot wide.. It looks like a patch someone attempted
previously, and it pulled away from the base coat.

If I was to attempt to patch the buldges, what would be the procedure?
Would I chisel out the loose top coat and the patch it? what kind of
plaster would this be to match the thin, smooth top coat?

The guy who looked at this said he would charge me $700 to tape and
patch, and do two coats of the joint compound. It sounds like an OK
price, but I want to make sure this is an acceptable way. It seems to
be an way, since I had another guy over whom I did not trust right
away because he said he was ready to start right away and that I
didn't have to finish removing the wall paper. he said he would just
go right over top of the wall paper in three coats and it would look
like a brand new wall.. yeah right..

Stay tune, Chris. I did plaster repairs in 4 rooms of an old house, and 20
years later, it still looks good. But, I'm busy and might not get a chance
to contribute more info tonight.