Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood Lathe 34706

In message , Roy
writes
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:58:11 GMT, John
wrote:
Compare the Jet at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006ANS3/...IzzmavH3ZECFSP
NIgodihLuWg

with the HF

That is interesting another variant

The Axminster and Perform variant can be seen here for comparison.
Remember they are in GBP which at present is 2$ to 1 GBP so you may be
shocked

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Speed-Woodturn
ing-Lathe-21283.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-P...ed-Woodturning
-Lathe-21724.htm

I think they come from the same factory in China although the fit and
finish may be different. I am prepared to clean, lube and adjust
things I get from HF more so than things from some other places.

I wonder if the lathe is just a budget JET or if it is one they badge to
cover the low end market. Saying that I have seen the Axminster 950
badged as a JET, its the next model up from the one above with headstock
which slides the length of the bed

One interesting point in the Product Description is

"Designed for use over the long haul, this tool has all the qualities
professional woodworkers demand"

Makes me wonder how long they consider long haul to be

--
John