Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Anyone know where to buy semi-silvered glass?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:56:28 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Thanks for those links. I took the reflector frame out of the microscope
today and measured it. Looks like the piece of glass needs to be 1" in
diameter and 1/64" thick, though a thinner piece could possibly be used.

According to some articles I've found online, certain metallurgical
microscopes use a plain glass sheet which works by total internal
reflection rather than a semi-silvered mirror. If that's the case with
my microscope, it would make the glass much easier to find. I might even
be able to use a circular glass cover slip.

Then there's the problem of fitting the spring clip over such a thin
piece of glass without breaking it. I figure I should order several
pieces of glass!

Best wishes,

Chris

Make up some Tollens reagent (ammoniacal silver nitrate) and use a bit of
glucose solution to set it off.

£50 minimum order worth of chemicals from www.lpchemicals.com

Mark Rand
RTFM