Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Default Wood to stay away from (Question)

I just read an interesting article of woods that turners felt others
should stay away from. Here in Kentucky, I am lucky to be able to find
numerous woods that are great for turning. I was wandering what others
might have experienced and what woods you would recommend staying away
from. Let if be known, I'll probably turn something you tell me not
too anyways, just because I like to see for myself what will happen
(unless it means I'll be covered in a horrible rash or other such
ailment).

Personally, the only wood I would recommend caution on would be
Mimosa. It is a beautiful wood, turns nicely, but there is something
in the wood that can be overpowering to the nose. I mean it literally
burns the nose and makes my eyes water.

Also, red oak is a wood that I'd only try to turn when wet. It becomes
extremely hard when dry.

These are just my experiences and look forward to here others.

JD