Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default Harbor Freight wood Lathe 34706

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:47:41 -0600, Roy wrote:

They have the above lathe on sale at the retail stores in this area
now for 199.99 and the 47066 lathe chisel set for 36.99.

I've seen several Harbor Freight lathes, and would not recommend any of them..
I'm not an elitist, buy a lot of stuff from HF, but not lathes..

For an introduction to turning, I'd strongly recommend the Jet Mini.. It's
inexpensive, quiet, very stable and the best part is that there are SO many of
them out there that questions are easily answered..

For $50 more than the HF lathe you're looking at, you can get a new jet mini
(1014?) and right now, a few online places are offering the choice of free
shipping or a $25 rebate...

If the HF chisels are the one's that are normally about $60, they actually are a
good deal and I have a couple sets of them..
As far as I can tell, they're the same as Penn State's "Benjamin's Best" but
less expensive..

I would be new to wood turning if I got these.

Would they be suitable for a beginner to see if I would even like
woodturning? I know they are not the best and many have a total
dislike for Harbor Freight tools. I have found for me many of their
tools are just fine, some are useless.

Now if they would come out with a 10%, 20% or bigger coupon this would
look even better.

I see people on EBAY selling Harbor Freight coupons. I emailed HF
about those and why I did not get them, I am on their email and snail
mail lists, and got a mealymouth useless answer as I expected telling
me no useful information.

Any comments on any of this is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Add 400 after roy in the email to send me email.

Roy

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing