Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tww tww is offline

Default Random musings about genetically perceived good work. (long)

The recent post about every turning having a customer brought several
things to mind. The first two have nothing directly to do with
turning or do they?

First, Catholic monks who live in monastaries where they cycle through
reading the Psalms can have a passage in a Psalm have great meaning to
them one time when they read it and then mean little the next time
they read it.

Second, the author of some book on Zen said he had read one Zen book
multiple times using a different color pencil to mark what was
important and saw how what was going on in his mind varied over
time.

Third, when I started playing with making wooden bowls I created a
series of bowls I named 'the firepit collection'. They went into a
firepit in our yard awaiting heat and oxygen. Once when we had guests
over they wanted to start a fire in the firepit so I said OK. A little
while later I looked outside and saw one person with a rake pulling
things from the fire and another kneeling down reaching into the fire
and pulling something out. They thought my trash had some value to
them and were rescuing it.

My point is people see things in their environment that somehow
connects with what is going on with the stirrings in their minds at a
point in time. When someone sees a turning that somehow clicks with
what is happening inside their heads they may want it.

There is also the idea of 'meaningful coincidences' where people have
events happen that seem like coincidences but have some sort of
meaning to them. Finding what to them is a work of art could be one of
those chance happenings.

Now, I suppose is hard telling how to use any of this to get people
to part with their money.