Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

wrote in message

Maybe you have to draw a picture george, and see what a tool does,
when it gets caught on the outside of a turning, it goes down george,
it makes an arc george, as the tool rest is the fulcrum, and the tool
going down will have the end swing away from the wood.
Maybe someone can draw a picture for you george, have a nice day
george

But, Leo, something you just can't seem to comprehend is that it DOESN'T get
caught because it has no wood over it to catch it, save the minimum required
to start a shaving; which goes where the turner wants it to go. The motion
of the turning wedges left outside, also into air, or wedges right inside
into the open area. We can also be even smarter, and take advantage of the
flute in the tool instead of the sides. That way the natural curve ( allows
most of the sharp catching but easily cutting edges to be forward, not up at
all.

The purpose is to prevent a catch so we don't have silly analyses of what
happens if you do, Leo.