Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default 12v Voltage Drop?

On Feb 24, 7:39 am, Mike Hibbert wrote:
Morning!

I'm looking to install CCTV at the front of the house (long story,
involving kids, eggs, and rather bizarrely, comedy penis's drawn in
butter on the car!)

I bought a camera which runs on 12v and comes with a transformer. But
the lead on the transformer is only about 7' long, which for an outdoor
camera makes it pretty hard to position and still plug in.

I have 3 options I guess, site it somewhere else, buy a new transformer
with a longer lead, or extend the existing one.

My question is, if I simply cut the cable and extend it, will there be a
noticeable drop off in voltage to the camera?

Cheers

Mike

Ive got a camera with 6 IR leds on about 30M of .75mm 3 core screened
flex, had it lying around.
Biggest drain in a camera think is probably the LEDs, some have a
small wirewound resistor that is meant to act as a heater to stop
misting.
Speaker cable is a good low cost cable for the power and RG58/59 is
lot thinner than standard coax if you need to extend the signal.

Adan