Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Curiousity - Bathroom Fans

On 2008-02-24 12:09:36 +0000, "the_constructor"
said:

Just out of curiosity, are 12V timer fans noisier than 240V fans....?

It depends.

There are several factors:

- Fan size. A larger one under-run will be much quieter than a small
one run at max setting

- axial/centrifugal. Centrifugal fans can have more throughput and
are able to move air through a long duct better than axial fans.
However, they are noisier.

- bearings and motor. This relates to the manufacturer and quality
of the product.

- mounting. A fan mounted directly to a plasterboard wall or
especially ceiling has a very good sounding board to amplify the sound.

I got a 12V fan and my neighbour nearly jumps out of her skin when it is
switched on.

I installed it correctly a few months ago but after a week I disconnected
it.

It must be bad though because I can hear it downstairs through 3 closed
doors.

The fan is from Screwfix....

Mmmm.....

Take a look at the LoWatt range from Vent Axia. I fitted one of
these in my cloakroom. It is suitable for bathrooms as well and runs
from 12v. Very quiet indeed. I fitted it using rubber mounts and
sealing gasket, which reduces the sound yet further.