Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default "Replacement Windows" versus "New Windows"

"Smarty" wrote in message
What if you have brick for both the exterior walls and sills? Apparently
replacement windows are offered to be installed both from the inside as
well as the exterior openings. Can anybody give me a rough estimate of how
many hours of total labor would be involved to install one replacement
double hung window roughly 54" high and about 30 inches wide in a brick
opening which previously held an aluminum double hung window? What is a
typical cost for the labor to put in a window like this?

Again, many thanks,

Smarty

*********** What if you have brick for both the exterior walls and sills?

I did one last spring. The old 1970's, single-hung, builder grade, specials.
These are a bit more difficult that a standard replacement window where you
just take out the movable sashes and put the unit in place.

To to it right on the hard-weather side of the house 2-4 hours if you have
alll the materials and tools on site when you start. For sure less than $100
worth of materials exclusive of the window.

In my case the "gottcha" was it could not all be done in one day because
there was a little mortar that needed to be tuck-pointed into place. I also
wrapped all the exterior wood that I installed. I took quite a few pictures
and do plan to write an article on that because I could find very little on
the web with pictures to assist me.

--
Colbyt