Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

On Feb 23, 7:49*pm, "George" wrote:
"ebd" wrote in message

One principle I learned from the first book I ever read on turning (old
bodger name of Frank Pain) was that you can't get a catch if your cut is
above the wood. Inside, that means below the center, outside, above.

Seems to me you got this exactly backwards. Inside below center the
catch drives the tool into the wood. Same with outside above. Inside
above center a catch drives the tool into air. Same with outside
below.

Nope, Catch comes from raising the nose of the tool into wood or the wood
coming down into the nose of the tool. Keeping air over the tool keeps from
catching. Puts you at 8:45 inside, 9:15 out as optimum. The bevel on the
wood keeps you steady and away from a roll and catch.

Of course you are talking non-cense George.
A catch is a un-controlled dig into the wood, be it a spindle or bowl,
inside or outside.
That means the tool is taken by the turning wood in its turning
direction.
A tool inside a bowl cutting above centre height will be pushed down
into air, end of catch, and a tool cutting below centre, will gat
pushed down also, but into the wood, digging into a mayor catch.
A tool cutting on the outside of a bowl below centre will be pushed
down into the air. above center just the opposite.
Maybe you have to draw a picture george, and see what a tool does,
when it gets caught on the outside of a turning, it goes down george,
it makes an arc george, as the tool rest is the fulcrum, and the tool
going down will have the end swing away from the wood.
Maybe someone can draw a picture for you george, have a nice day
george